Monday, December 30, 2013

Books I Read In 2013 aka The List That Will Probably Never Be This Long Ever Again

I hereby present to you the books I read in 2013.  Somehow there are a ton of them, 24 to be precise.  What?! I'm not sure how that happened.  I promise you, here on the eve of parenthood, that this list will probably never ever be this long again...ever.  Ok maybe when we are empty nesters.  Nah, I'll be too busy riding my own motorcycle then.  Without further ado, here is my list, along with a few comments if deserved:

Leading Up by Joel Maynard

Radical by David Platt (Paperback conviction on a shelf.  This guy and I could be buds.)

Tess of The d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (Four words: double standards, stupid men.)

The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner (ok maybe this doesn't count since it's so short)

Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier (A re-read, always a fave.)

All She Ever Wanted by Lynn Austin (She's done it again. Seriously, go read Lynn Austin's books immediately if not sooner)

Persuasion by Jane Austen

A Return To Modesty by Wendy Shalit

The Connected Child by Karyn Purvis (This will become a user guide once we begin caring for kids.)

A Voice In The Wind by Francine Rivers

Echo In The Darkness by Francine Rivers

The Shack by William P. Young  (Whoa. Heavy.)

Bossypants by Tina Fey (And then I went on a random comedy reading stint...)

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling (I want to hang out with her...)

Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne (Great stuff Shane, but where does that leave us middle class families who can't really pick up and live the nomad servant life in the ghetto of Philly? Or can we?)

The Girls' Guide To Hunting And Fishing by Melissa Bank (So, so weird and useless. I do not recommend.)

Overextended...And Loving Most Of It: The Unexpected Joy Of Being Harried, Heartbroken And Hurling Oneself Off Of Cliffs by Lisa Harper  (Potential to be a super book, but apparently she was too overextended and harried to put good cohesive thoughts and chapters together.)

True Believer by Nicholas Sparks (Dear Mr. Sparks, you are ridiculous. Love always, Not A Fan)

At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks (I laughed through the parts where I know I was supposed to cry.)

7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker  (She is brave.)

Jesus Feminist: Exploring God's Radical Notion That Women Are People Too by Sarah Bessey (Ya think?)

Love Wins: A Book About Heaven, Hell, And The Fate Of Every Person Who Ever Lived by Rob Bell (Oh my.  I'm gonna go sit in the corner and sing Jesus Loves Me.)

Barefoot Church: Serving The Least In A Consumer Culture by Brandon Hatmaker (The sadly radical idea of actually being the church instead of just going to church and consuming church.)

All Things New by Lynn Austin (After careening through various angsty Christian authors, I decided to end the year with some amazing fiction and Lynn Austin, as usual, did not disappoint.)

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment