Saturday, October 27, 2012

Laundry Room Remodel - Day 1

We've got a nice sized laundry room/closet/nook in our house that is located in our den, behind the kitchen.  Over the last few weeks I have been brainstorming a plan to give it a face lift.  It is was very white, very blah and very out in the open, considering the folding doors that belong there have been broken and off their track pretty much since we moved in.  Something needed to be done.  

I began to tackle my plan last night (Friday).  

First, allow me to introduce you to our laundry room, pre-remodel. 


To the right, to the right, to the right, to the right...

Can you spy my piggy bank that holds money found in the laundry and Trent thinks is creepy?

To the left, to the left, to the left, to the left...


 Now kick, now kick, now kick, now kick...that stuff out of there...


Laundry Room Shuffle anyone?  

First I took down the little knobby things that once held a closet bar across the room, which I took down loooong ago because it was smack in front of the shelves.


Then I took down the fluorescent light skeleton, also never used and in the way.


Then I cleaned.  A lot.  It turns out that it can get pretty grody behind a washer and dryer.  Blech.   I cleaned the shelves, the floor, the walls.   

Speaking of walls, this room is on the edge of the add-on part of our house, or "house #2" as we sometimes call it, that came along sometime in the 70s supposedly.   Therefore, the back wall of our laundry room is actually made of exterior siding.  And there appears to have once been a window above the stove, which is on the other side of that wall and raised up to the pier and beam level of the original house  (house #1).  Scroll back up to the first picture above if you are confused and you can see the three steps to the right of the laundry room which lead up to the kitchen.  And look at the picture below to see the bottom of the old window frame.


The next step was getting the shelves out of there.  I figured this would be a piece of cake, just some screws to remove from all the L brackets and slam dunk.   Oof, I was wrong, because  a) the brackets were nailed in, b) the nails were then painted in, and c) remember I said this back wall is made of exterior siding?  Well, the siding on house #1 is called "soft side", which is kind of a misnomer because soft side is made of asphalt.  Yep, our house is made out of road.   These nails were about three inches long and didn't want to come out of our road siding very easily.   


I got most of them out but had to call in the expert for the remainder.   Can I get a hoo ray for having a husband who used to build and repair houses?


With that, I called it a night.  


Tune in tomorrow for an update on Laundry Room Remodel Day 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment