Sunday, January 22, 2012

My Favorite Scripture

Has anyone ever asked you what your favorite scripture is?  Did you have an answer?  That is a tough question to answer, given that there are four bazillion scriptures to choose from in the Bible.

I have a favorite.  It's probably not a very typical favorite scripture because it doesn't give a charge to action, doesn't offer solace from suffering, doesn't praise the awesome power of God's name.   It is a blessing.

Growing up, while I lived at home, my Dad would shower us kids in prayer, especially at night when we were going to bed.  His prayers would very often end with what is now my favorite scripture.   When we were setting off for school, or for anything really, he would often speak this blessing over us.  Even today, though I don't see him as much since we live apart, he still sometimes says this scripture to me.

It is Numbers 6:24-26.

I do not know from what version Dad memorized it, so here it is in the Tony Sauer Version, which is now hidden in my own heart and mind:

May the Lord bless you and keep you
May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
May the Lord lift up His countenance upon you
And give you peace.

It is a little gem of a scripture placed amid a bunch of info about the Israelites, Kohathites, Gershonites and Levites.  (My spell checker just blew a gasket)   Blah blah sacrifices blah blah tabernacle blah blah Sinai blah blah manna from heaven blah blah...oh look, a lovely, special blessing buried in all that!  (Those are not derogatory blah blahs. I know all those scriptures are important too.)  Most people's favorite scriptures probably come from triumphant Psalms or wise sayings of Jesus, but mine is an obscure little blessing from the Pentateuch. 

This scripture has become very, very special to me and even now brings tears to my eyes as I remember all the times it has been spoken over me.  I love my Dad.  I love that he prayed for us and still does.  

What is your favorite scripture?  Do you have one?

No comments:

Post a Comment